Most moms of kids from tots to teens will lament, “What I wouldn’t give for a good night’s sleep!”
It’s true given the stress level experienced by most moms today, sleep can be elusive. However, the amount of studies that have been done that emphasize the importance of sleep — not only to relieve stress but for overall health — are too many to list.
So, here, in no particular order are my Top Ten Tips for More Restful sleep, for moms, or anyone else who is burning the candle at both ends and in-between!
- Get Rid of Annoying Sounds: A potential problem to getting to sleep faster is hearing too many annoying sounds. Having a snoring husband or keeping the television on all night can hinder you from going to sleep. If the sounds are not something you can simply turn off, such as snoring, or traffic noise, try listening to soothing music or “white noise” through headphones.
- Exercise in the Morning: Another solution to getting to sleep quickly is to exercise in the morning. By exercising early, your body will be extremely tired at night, and this will allow you to fall asleep as soon as you get in the bed. It is best to exercise in the morning instead of at night. When exercising at night, your body will get a burst of energy that will prohibit you from falling asleep.
- Yoga and Deep Breathing: Exercise right before sleep is not a good idea, it can “pump you up,” rather than make you feel tired. However, yoga, deep breathing, or other relaxation techniques will reduce stress, and this will help you to go to sleep faster.
- Limit Caffeine: If you are hoping to fall asleep quickly, you definitely want to avoid caffeine. Caffeine will keep you up all night, and your desire to fall asleep fast will be eliminated. Instead of coffee, tea, cola or other caffeinated drinks, you should enjoy other types of beverages before sleep.
- Limit Alcohol Consumption: A “nightcap” in the form of one glass of wine, or a mixed drink, may help you to sleep –but leave it at that. While alcohol is considered a depressant, and that effect can help you get to sleep faster, alcohol in excess can interrupt “REM” or deep sleep, and therefore lead overall to disturbed, rather than restful sleep.
- Water: Water is the best beverage if you desire to fall asleep faster. Water relaxes the body, and it gets rid of unnecessary waste within the body.
- Green Tea: Green tea is also an effective beverage for falling asleep fast. Green tea soothes the body and the brain by helping them both to relax. This relaxation allows you to fall asleep as soon as your head touches your pillow – but make sure it is the decaffeinated kind. Teas that contain valerian root, lavender blends and other herbal teas also have a relaxing effect.
Getting enough sleep at night is crucial for your body. By following the tips listed above, you will fall asleep much faster than you have in the past.
What do you think of these sleep tips, do you have some of your own you would like to add? Feel free to use the comments below!